What are Cellular (Honeycomb) Shades?
Cellular shades (or honeycomb shades) are a type of window covering made up of small, hexagon-shaped cells. They are named cellular shades because of the cellular-like appearance of the fabric. They have many benefits over traditional window treatments, such as curtains or blinds, and are a great choice for any room in your home.
Cellular shades offer a number of benefits over traditional window treatments. They are:
- Energy-efficient: They can help lower your energy bills by trapping heat in the winter and keeping cool air in during summer.
- Customizable: Can be custom-made to fit any size or shape of window, and come in a variety of colors and fabrics to match any décor.
- Lightweight: Lightweight fabric makes them easy to install and remove.
- Durable: Made from durable fabric that can last for years.
One of the most significant benefits is the insulation properties. They are made with small, hexagon-shaped cells that trap air in between the cells. This air insulation helps keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer, which can help lower your energy bills.
Pleated shades are a window treatment made up of small, pleated fabric panels. They are similar to cellular shades in that they are made from a lightweight, durable fabric and can be custom-made to fit any size or shape window. However, pleated shades do not have the same insulation properties as cellular shades.
There are several different styles to choose from
- Top-down/bottom-up: This style allows you to lower the shade from the top or raise it from the bottom, giving you complete control over the amount of light and privacy in your room.
- Cordless Lift: A great choice for anyone who wants the benefits of cellular shades but doesn’t want the hassle of dealing with cords. Cordless cellular shades have an internal cord that moves the shade up and down, making them a great option for homes with children.
- Motorized: A great choice for anyone who wants the convenience of motorized blinds but doesn’t want to sacrifice the insulation benefits of cellular shades. This type of shade can be programmed to open and close at specific times of the day, giving you complete control over the amount of light and privacy in your home.
- Corded: A traditional style of cellular shade, they have a cord that hangs down from the top of the shade, which you can use to raise and lower the shade.
- Continuous Cord Loop: The cord is fastened to the wall or window frame, making it child-safe and easy to use. Simply pull on the continuous cord loop to raise the shade up or down.
Single-cell shades are made from a single layer of fabric. This style is a good choice for anyone who wants the insulation benefits of cellular shades but doesn’t want the added light control that comes with double cell shades.
Double cell shades are made from two layers of fabric, which helps to block out more light than single cell shades. This style is a good choice for anyone who wants the added light control of double cell shades but doesn’t want the added weight. Another benefit of double cell shades is they add additional insulation. We recommend this type of cell with older windows as they provide supreme insulation.
Honeycomb Shade Cell Sizes
Cellular shades are available in a variety of cell sizes, ranging from small to large.
- ⅜” are shades with a ⅜” cell measurement. Smaller windows are paired with ⅜” cell shades. They are an excellent option for high-humidity, temperature-change environments like bathrooms.
- ½” to 9/16” are the most popular size of cellular shade and are a great choice for medium-sized windows in bedrooms and living rooms that get a lot of sun. The larger cells offer more insulation than smaller cellular shades, making them a great choice for energy efficiency.
- ¾” are the largest size and are perfect for large windows or doors. The extra-large cells offer excellent insulation, making them a great choice for energy efficiency. They are also an excellent choice for rooms that get a lot of sun, as they can help keep your room cool in the summer.
Light filtering shades provide a soothing light that brightens up more of the space and lessens the need for artificial lighting. It can also be more appealing, giving the room an even appearance rather than a mix of dark and light areas.
Blackout honeycomb shades are a great choice for bedrooms, media rooms, and any other room where you want to block out all light. Blackout cellular shades have a special lining that blocks out all light so that you can complete privacy and darkness.
Cellular shades are available in a variety of colors, so you can find the perfect shade to match your décor. Light colors such as white and cream are a great choice for small rooms or rooms with little natural light. Dark and bright colors such as grey and blue are perfect for large rooms or to add a little color to your home.
Cellular window shades are easy to clean and require little maintenance. To clean your shades, simply dust them with a soft cloth or vacuum them with the brush attachment. For tougher stains, you can spot clean your cellular shades with a mild soap and water solution.
Window coverings are an important part of any room. Cellular shades are a popular choice for anyone looking for an energy-efficient window covering. With a wide variety of cell sizes, colors, and styles available, they can be tailored to fit any window in your home. With added benefits of light-filtering and blackout capabilities, cellular shades are perfect for any room in your home. Contact our experienced team at Wei Wei Drapery to find the best Cellular shades in Denver. Our design consultant will help you to pick the best styles for your home. Call today to book a consult at (303) 292-1036.