Everything You Need to Know About Shutters
Shutters are considered to be a classic and more traditional window treatment that provides both function and style providing both function and style. There are many different types of shutters available on the market today, from plantation shutters to vinyl shutters to polywood and composite shutters.
Shutters are a great choice if you’re looking to add some beauty and functionality to your windows. If you’re looking for shutters in Denver or Greenwood Village, come and visit us at Wei Wei Drapery Inc. Our design consultants will help you to choose the best window coverings for your home or office.
Plantation shutters are window coverings that were historically used in plantation homes. Made from sturdy materials like wood or vinyl, they are designed to provide privacy and shade while still allowing air and light to pass through. Today, plantation shutters remain a popular choice for many homeowners due to their versatile style and functionality.
There are many benefits to choosing plantation shutters for your home. Plantation shutters are:
- Attractive: plantation shutters can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room
- Durable: they are made from tough materials that can withstand years of use
- Functional: they can be opened or closed to control light and privacy
There are several different styles of plantation and wood shutters to choose from. Depending on the look and decor of your house, there are a few options that will look great in any home, including:
- Standard raised panel plantation shutter. A classic style, the raised panel shutter features panels raised above the frame level.
- Flat-panel plantation shutter. As the name suggests, flat-panel shutters have a flush design with no raised or recessed panels.
- Tier-on-tier plantation shutter. This type of shutter features two or more panels that can be opened and closed independently of each other.
- Bahama shutter. A type of louvered shutter that is designed to be used outdoors.
- Cafe-style plantation shutter. Ideal for use in kitchens and bathrooms, cafe-style plantation shutters cover only the bottom half of the window.
When choosing shutters for your home, it is important to consider the material they are made from. Wood shutters are a popular choice for many homeowners due to their natural beauty and durability. However, they require more maintenance than shutters made from other materials like vinyl or composite wood. Keep in mind that the sun in Colorado is stronger than in most states and may wear your shutters down sooner.
- Cedar is a type of wood that is known for its durability and beautifully natural color. Cedar shutters are a popular choice for many homeowners, due to their attractive appearance and light grain. Cedar shutters are also a cost-effective way to improve the look of your home.
- Mahogany is a hard, tropical wood that is known for its durability and rich color. Mahogany wood is often used for its strength and beauty. Mahogany is also resistant to insects and decay, making it a popular choice for use in exterior applications.
- Pine is a softwood that is often used in inexpensive plantation shutters. While it may not be as durable as hardwoods like mahogany or cedar, pine is a cost-effective choice for shutters. The light color of pine lends itself well to a wide variety of styles, and its natural texture provides a rustic look.
- Teak is a type of hardwood that is known for its water resistance and ability to withstand harsh weather conditions. Teak shutters are a popular choice for many homeowners due to their attractive appearance and durability.
- Basswood is a type of wood that is known for being lightweight and flexible.. If you have bigger windows and need a lighter option, basswood might be a good option for you.
When it comes to shutters, there are three main types of paints and stains to choose from:
- Water-based: Water-based paints and stains are a popular choice for shutters due to their low VOCs and easy cleanup.
- Oil-based: Oil-based paints and stains provide a rich, natural color that many homeowners prefer. However, they can be difficult to clean up and have higher VOCs than water-based options.
- Clear sealant: A clear sealant will protect your shutters from the elements but won’t alter their color or appearance.
Plantation shutters are a popular choice because of their style but they can also be a good choice for security. Plantation shutters also serve as a privacy barrier and make it more difficult for intruders to gain access to your property. Plantation shutters can be locked to provide privacy and security for your home. Consider your windows as one line of defense and your closed plantation shutters as a second.
If you are looking for a low-maintenance option, vinyl, composite, or polywood shutters may be a better choice for you. These materials are resistant to moisture and do not require painting or staining. If you live in the Colorado area, we recommend this type of shutter over wood shutters as they last longer, and the sun will not affect them as much as wood shutters. They are a great option for bathrooms, kitchens, and any other high humidity areas of a home.
Vinyl shutters are a popular choice for homeowners who want the look of wood shutters but don’t want to have to worry about maintenance. Vinyl shutters are available in a variety of colors and styles and can be custom-made to fit any window.
Composite shutters are made from a combination of wood and other materials, such as plastic or vinyl, making them more durable than shutters made from only wood. Like vinyl shutters, they are available in a variety of colors and styles as well.
Polywood shutters are the latest innovation in window coverings. Polywood shutters are made from recycled plastic and wood fibers. They are an eco-friendly choice for homeowners who want the look of wood shutters but don’t want the maintenance. Polywood shutters are water-resistant, fade-resistant, and insect-resistant. They are also the most durable shutter on the market.
- Resistant to moisture
- Resistant to insects
- No need for painting or staining
- Low maintenance
The louvers on a shutter are panels that can be opened and closed to control the amount of light and air that comes into your home. Louvers of various sizes provide a variety of views. Several shutter configurations are possible if you want to open your shutters fully and let full light in. If you like complete darkness, you can have the dark effect you’re looking for when your shutters are completely closed.
Shutters come in a variety of louver sizes, including:
- 2.5 inches
- 3.5 inches
- 4.5 inches
The size of the louver you choose will depend on your personal preference and the amount of light and privacy you want in your home.
A counterbalance system is a mechanism that helps to keep the shutters open or closed, regardless of the weight of the louvers.
Shutters, whether made from wood, vinyl, or composite materials, are a great way to improve your home’s energy efficiency. They can help keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and save you money on your energy bills.
- reduce solar heat gain by up to 45%.
- reduce heat loss in the winter by up to 35%.
- save you up to 15% on your energy bills.
- protect your home from the sun’s harmful UV rays, which can fade your furniture and flooring.
Shutters are a great way to increase the value of your home. They are a popular choice among home buyers and can help to make your home more attractive to potential buyers.
Shutters can give you the privacy you need in your home. Whether you are looking to keep nosy neighbors out or want to create a private space for yourself, shutters can give you the privacy you desire.
Shutters can provide you with room darkening. While shutters are not usually total blackout window treatments, they are great for bedrooms, media rooms, and any other space where you want to block out most light.
If you live in a noisy area, shutters can help reduce the amount of noise entering your home. This is a great way to create a more peaceful and relaxing environment in your home.
- When closed, shutters should cover the entire surface of the window.
- Shutters should be avoided on picture windows, bay windows, and some dormer windows.
- Shutters are always visible, unlike a shade that may be lowered and hidden in a valance.
When choosing a shutter for your home, you should consider
- the climate
- your style
- your budget
- the size of the window
- the amount of light you want in your home
If you’re looking for a window treatment that is both beautiful and functional, shutters are a perfect choice. If you’re looking for shutters in Denver or Greenwood Village, give us a call today. We have them available in various materials, including wood, vinyl, and composite, so you can find the perfect shutters for your home. They are durable, energy-efficient, and increase the value of your home. And best of all, they are easy to maintain – just a quick wipe with a damp cloth is all it takes to keep them looking new.