Valances, Cornices and Pelmets
Valances, cornices, and pelmets are window treatments that serve a similar purpose: to dress up a window, add dimension, and cover up drapery hardware. They can be made from a variety of materials, including fabric and wood, and they come in a wide range of styles. All three window treatments are an excellent addition to any window. In this article, we’ll go through the different styles of valances, cornices, and pelmets and help you decide what’s best for your windows.
A valance is a short window treatment that typically only covers the top part of the window. Valances have a soft look that may be casual or formal, depending on the style you choose. They are usually hung on a rod that is mounted above the window. They come in a wide range of styles, from simple and streamlined to ornate and detailed.
- Valances are a great choice if you want to add a touch of style to your windows without blocking out any natural light.
- A window valance adds height to any room, and the valance should be higher above the window, closer to the ceiling.
- If you have pillows or other decorations custom-made to match your valances, the entire space will flow nicely.
There are many different styles of valances to choose from. Here are just a few that you can consider:
- The rod pocket valance is a basic, no-frills design. This type of valance is easy to install and can be made from a variety of different fabrics.
- An Italian valance is for anyone who wants something a little more ornate. These valances are usually made from heavier fabrics and have decorative details, like tassels or trim.
- A swag valance is a type of valance that hangs down in folds or “swags.” They can be made from a variety of fabrics and can be hung in several different ways. Swag valances are a good choice if you want to add some extra style to your window.
- The box-pleated valance has a more tailored look. This type of valance is made from two pieces of fabric that are pleated together and then hung on a rod.
- A balloon valance is made from fabric that is gathered into “balloons” and then hung on a rod. Balloon valances are a good choice if you want to add some extra texture to your window.
- An ascot valance is made from two pieces of fabric that are pleated together and then hung on a rod. An ascot valance is distinguished by a pointed tip, similar to a man’s ascot or tie.
Bell Pleat Scalloped
Bottom Arch Cornice
Bottom T One
Bottom T Two
A cornice is a window treatment that covers the top part of the window and hardware and extends outwards, away from the window. Cornices can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, fabric, or foam. They come in a wide range of styles, from simple and streamlined to very ornate and detailed. Cornices are a good choice if you want to add some elegance and style to your windows.
Wood cornices are a good choice if you want to add some natural beauty to your window. They are available in a wide range of styles and can be stained or painted to match your décor. Wood cornices are also very durable and can be made to match the crown moldings in any room.
Foam cornices are a good choice if you want to add some color and dimension to your window. They are made from a lightweight foam material that can be easily cut and shaped to fit your window. Foam cornices are also very affordable and easy to install.
Fabric cornices are a good choice if you want to add some softness and texture to your window. They are available in a wide range of fabrics, including cotton, linen, and velvet.
A pelmet is a window treatment similar to a valance that covers the top part of the window and extends outwards, away from the window. A pelmet may be made of a flat layer of fabric over a wooden frame which may have foam padding. Pelmets differ from cornices in that they usually are covered in fabric or cloth, while cornices are usually constructed with wood or foam and are often much more elaborate.
A window scarf is a long, thin piece of fabric that is draped over a curtain rod and hangs down in folds. Scarves are made from a variety of different fabrics, including silk, cotton, and polyester. They come in a variety of colors and patterns to match your décor. A window scarf is a great way to add a pop of color to your space.
There are a number of different ways that you can drape a window scarf. The most common way is to simply drape the scarf over the rod and let it hang down in folds. You can also create a more dramatic look by crisscrossing the scarf or wrapping it around the rod multiple times.
If you’re looking for a way to add some extra style and elegance to your windows, then valances, cornices, and pelmets are a great option. These window treatments are available in a wide range of styles, colors, and fabrics to match your décor. They can also be easily customized to fit your specific window size and shape. If you’re looking for valances or cornices in Denver or Greenwood Village, visit our showroom and speak to our design team at Wei Wei Drapery Inc.